#1319, b. 1797, d. 5 April 1870
- Relationship: 5th great-grandmother of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree Chart Madison (McBain)
- Birth: Jane Bennett was born in 1797 in Sturminster, Dorset, England, worked out from age at death, place as recorded in 1841 and 1851 census.2,3
- Christening: She was christened on 26 March 1797 in St Mary's Church, Sturminster Newton Castle, Dorset, England. Mis-transcribed as Barnett.
- Marriage License: She and Robert Dare obtained a marriage license on 21 August 1820 in St John the Evangelist, London, Greater London, England; certificate 0181837. Robert Dare appeared personally and made oath that he is of the parish of St John the Evangelist *unreadable* in the county of Middlesex, a bachelor of above 21 years. He took out a license to marry Jane Bennett a spinster of the same parish (for at least 4 weeks past) on 21st August 1820. The license was issued by the Dean and Chapter of Westminster**.4
- Marriage: Jane Bennett married Robert Dare on Tuesday, 22 August 1820 in St John the Evangelist, Smith Square, Westminster, London, Greater London, England. from a copy of the actual Marriage Register Entry as supplied by City of Westminster. Witnesses were Charles PIGDEN and Prudence BRISTEE. * Details of this fascinating church, which is now a concert venue with a restaurant in the crypt, can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_John%27s,_Smith_Square.4
- Marriage of Son: Her child John Dare was married on 17 September 1845 in Kensington, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.5
- (Widow) Death: In 1854, at the age of 57 years, Jane was left a widow by the death of Robert Dare; It is also noted in the first volume of The Register, page 269. This is a list of the notices that were put in the South Australian News Paper "The Register" between 1836 and 1859 which have a Dorset Connection. These entries were extracted by Jill Morley from. 'Register Personal Notices' Edited By Reg Butler and Alan Phillips and published 1990 by Gould Books in South Australia. Some explanatory notes have been added by Jill Morley.6
- Marriage of Son: Her child Joseph Dare was married on 4 June 1856 in Adelaide or Nairne, South Australia, Australia.7,8,9
- Death of Father: Her father Philip Bennett died in 1868.
- Death: Jane died on 5 April 1870 in St Kilda, Victoria, Australia, aged 73, said to have died of old age (Aged 73 years, worked back from recorded birth date).4,1
- Burial: She was buried on 6 April 1870 in Melbourne Cemetery Wesleyan section A grave 56, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, There are 89 other people buried in same plot, which is a large 'common' grave for Wesleyan ministers and their families. Jane's son Joseph was a Wesleyan Minister.3,10
- Married Name: Her married name was Dare.
- (Resident) Census: Jane Bennett was listed as a resident in Philip Bennett and Elizabeth Roberts's household in the census report in 1801 in Sturminster Newton Castle, Dorset, England; 3 children and a servant were with them.11
- passpt: Jane Bennett was issued with a passport in 14 January 1853. The number of the passport was 108.12
- Immigration: In December 1862Jane Bennett emigrated.
- Residence: In circa 1870 Jane and Joseph lived in Princess Street, St Kilda, Victoria, Australia.3
Children of Jane Bennett and Robert Dare
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1870/5678.
- Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Yet to see original PR
England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975 about Jane Bennett
Name: Jane Bennett
Baptism Date: 26 Mar 1797
Baptism Place: Sturminster-Newton, Dorset, England
Father: Philip Bennett
FHL Film Number: 1239248
Reference ID: item 10."
- Jane Bennett, Death certificate for Jane Dare.
- Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), patron sheet 0960640 - 1553382 Film NONE.
- Digger - South Australian Deaths 1842 - 1915, Surname: DARE
Given Names: Robert
Relative: Joseph DARE (PR)
Death Place: (not recorded)
District Code: Ade
- SA Genealogy & Heraldry Society, Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885.
- Elizabeth Dare, Death certificate for Elizabeth Dare.
- The Abbott Index of SA newspaper contents, from 1836, publication 5/6/1856 Page 2 Col B.
- Unknown author, MGC.
- On Line Parish Clerks, online various based on ???-opc.org.uk, http://www.opcdorset.org/Sturminster/SturminsterNewton/…
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Register of passport applications 1851-1856,.
- Trove - Australian Newspapers on line, online http://trove.nla.gov.au, The Argus Wednesday 6th April 1870 page 4.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), England and Wales, Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8)
spouse: Robert Dare
record title: England and Wales, Non-Conformist Record Indexes (RG4-8)
name: Philip Dare
event type: Baptism
christening date: 06 Nov 1825
christening place: Shaftesbury, Dorset
father's name: Robert Dare
mother's name: Jane Dare
record set: RG4_0466.